Monday, January 17, 2011

les faux bourgeois

On Thursday night after picking my wife up from the airport, I decided to surprise her with dinner at Les Faux Bourgeois.

We have attempted to eat at Les Faux Bourgeois on numerous occasions but have never been able to acquire reservations that fit with our very inflexible schedules.

When we arrived the restaurant was approximately 80% full. We spoke with the hostess and we were unable to secure a table but were offered seating at the bar which offered full service dining. The restaurant is a consistently busy, so we gladly accepted.

The Bar man was very prompt as well as polite, offering us water immediately as we sat down and presented us with both the entree and wine menu. After perusing the wine menu my wife and I decided to share a bottle of the Les Brottier Cote Du Rhone.

The wine was was okay and average at best. To put this bottle of wine in a bit more perspective, Les Brottier Cote Du Rhone costs $16.00 at the BC Liquor stores and is sold for $30.00 being marked up almost 100%. In this situation you are really getting what you pay for especially with wine.

After reviewing the menu at length we decided to skip appetizers in order for us to be able to have enough room for dessert. My wife decided on the Le Cabillaud, a fresh fillet of Ling Cod, served with mushrooms, savoy cabbage, cod croquettes and manila clams and pan jus. Myself I ordered the Les Toulouse, two Toulouse Sausages served with tomato chutney, grain mustard sauce, and pommes purée. My wife did have some questions about a substitution as she does have a some health concerns that limit her diet. She requested to make a small substitution of the Cod croquettes to the Du Puy lentils and were told ABSOLUTELY no substitutions. My wife has a form of Colitis that can sometimes be debilitating and her diet plays a huge roll. However, we did understand and offered to pay for the Lentils as a side dish.

We placed our order and we were immediately served fresh sliced French baguette and continued to enjoy the wine, the ambiance and especially each others company. Our food arrived very promptly within no more than 15 minutes. My wife's entree the Le Cabillaud was excellent, with exception of the Lentils. The Lentils were very under seasoned and somewhat bland. As for my dish the Les Toulouse, this was also another hit. The Sausage was firm and the casing was crisp with the farce meat was very flavorful, a very well rounded dish. The only criticism I would offer was that the mash potatoes were ice cold, all in all, something I could easily live with.

Finally, after we devoured our food, came desert. Based on the recommendation of our server we decided upon the Creme Brulee. As fast as our waiter took our order our desert arrived. I was given the honor of the first to bite into the Creme Brulee, getting to experience the initial cracking of the hard sugar which acts like a barrier to creamy vanilla goodness that awaits. After a couple of whacks with the back of my spoon, I was through and I proceeded to take the biggest scoop that that tiny dessert spoon would allow. I was in a moment of blissful heaven when the Creme Brulee entered my mouth. The texture was sooth and velvety and was a pure delight. However, in my moments of sinful delight there was a slight problem. The flavor of the creamy vanilla goodness was interrupted by the flavor of burnt sugar. Unfortunately a small portion of the top of the Creme Brulee had bee torched to long and became burnt and bitter. AS mentioned it was a small portion of the sugar and that was not going to stop me from enjoying every last bit of the creamy delight.

On a side note, the 80% full capacity when we arrived did not change. Nor did having any available tables other than the Bar just as when when we arrived. I am unhappy to say, those seats were still empty when we left an hour and a half later. I hate when things like that happen, but hey what can you do?

Welcome to the world of the Hospitality industry.

Ratings:

FOOD:
SERVICE:
PRICE: $$$

Anti Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment